Monday, January 2, 2012

Project Organization!

So Sometimes I get to the point in my house where it's so overwhelming that I don't even know where to start. It's there now.

I need and crave organization. I sleep like crap in a messy room. I lay awake and worry about my mess but am too lazy to get out of bed and fix it in the middle of the night. I make up excuses, I need to buy cute organizing stuff, I don't have a label maker (do now!) I don't have the space. I need to take before and after pictures. Excuses excuses. I make me sick. I do. (in more ways than one).

So I have decided to do one small bit of organizing a day until I can breathe (meaning forever! Haha not really). I'll still have regular cleaning and chores to do, but organizing one tiny piece at a time will do wonders for my psyche. I know it will. It won't be easy, especially with the show coming up. But seriously, if everything worth doing were easy it would already be done. In order to do this I need some ground rules for myself. Please feel free to make suggestions (don't be offended if I don't use every one though, not everything works for every person.)

Rules:

1. At LEAST one small organizing task a day. I say at least because if I get one a roll I don't want to limit myself.

2. No excuses. If I absolutely need to buy/make/accomplish something before the task can be handled. Write those things on a list, and do something else instead until I get those things.

3. Take before and after pictures (post them on this blog). I will feel a sense of accomplishment, and I will have some kind of accountability. Even if the before picture is hella embarrassing. If the camera is not available, use the phone...but don't let it become an excuse.

4. Laundry, dishes, much play time with Evangeline, and both jobs need to be worked on too. If you need to miss a day because of that. It's ok. However, don't miss 2 days in a row.

5. Maintain areas already done.

6. Small projects. If I have to make a bigger mess to organize a small one. Wait for a weekend baby nap.

7. Must be finished before I go to bed, otherwise I will obsess over it and not sleep.

8. Maintain a list of areas finished. (I was going to say of areas still to be done, but I don't want to get overwhelmed.)

9. Remember that I can always go back and re-do with prettier things. This doesn't have to cost money (or much of it).

Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I also crave organization (and structure). I just function much better when things are tidy.

    Have you seen this pin? It's got a decluttering schedule for every day of the year, so you can do a little thing every day, quickly.

    http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2012.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own a label-maker... and I don't know where it is. And yes, I do see the irony in that. :)

    I love organized spaces, but it's hopeless living with Steve. I have fits about the bed, though, 'cause I can't fall asleep in a disheveled bed -- I have to make it so everything lines up precisely.

    ReplyDelete